physical disk

Converting A Physical Hard Drive To A Virtual Hard Disk

At first glance the project seemed easy – clone the physical hard drive inside a server and restore it into VirtualBox so as to use the virtual copy. Turns out, it doesn’t work the way I envisioned it in my head. All the latest software made promises of one-click cloning and on the fly conversion to VHD. But in the end, after three days of trying, I’m scrapping this project. I just can’t seem to get it to work.

I tried using the latest software like O&O DiskImage 6, which listed VHD as one of the output formats. Well, it outputs to VHD alright, but that image doesn’t load. I cloned the drive without incident, but for the life of me I can’t that server to boot in a virtual environment. I created a VHD, I restored to a new VDI, I installed a new OS and tried the restore from there, I used a boot CD and restored from there. Not one of these methods would actually produce a working system. I can lay down the data to a data drive and see all the content with no problem, but no matter which process I use I can’t seem to get a bootable clone of my server. I admit, I’m not the sharpest knife in the things that holds knives, but I can’t for the life of me see what I’m doing wrong. I’ve been trying for three days and have called it quits.

This was supposed to be a simple task, a 3-4 hour job that would transport the server from the physical realm to the virtual one. With the amount of time I’ve wasted I could have installed a new server, installed all the frameworks and rebuilt everything from scratch, which is exactly what I’m going to do. I wanted a clone so I could perform maintenance with minimal downtime. If I had to rebuild the damn thing, I might as well start over and do a full blown upgrade.It’s not what I had in mine, but when all else fails, reinstalled is the best option.

If anyone knows the right process, the right software, the right way to hold your fingers to clone a drive and get it to load in VirtualBox, please let me know. I’m dying to know how it’s done. It’s sort of like a magic trick, I want to know how the cool kids do it.

Other articles of interest:

Recent Comments

  • Output status messages and test information by writing to the Log File Viewer in Katalon Studio (4)
    • Don Pedro: That is correct. You will need to add KeywordUtil.markFailed to change the Failures count. Other commands in the library are: KeywordUtil.markPassed KeywordUtil.markFailed KeywordUtil.markError KeywordUtil.markWarning
    • Nadim: This is really helpful … the only problem when log.logFailed executed it doesn’t update the results Failures count … still show Failures: 0
  • Working with Dates and Date Formatting in Katalon Studio (7)
    • Sharma: I want to choose date from any of the 12 months but I am not abel to do the same.
  • Securely storing passwords and login details with Set Encrypted Text in Katalon Studio (2)
    • sowmya: hi can u please help me how to read data from text file in katalon studio?
  • Custom Keywords for Custom Functions (1)
    • Sarah: Thank you for this. It helped me understand these better.
  • How To Disable the Quicken Registration Prompt (26)
    • Denise Defoor: I have a Quicken SE Version 6 .. My computer crashed a few weeks ago and I finally got it up and running. Now Quicken is telling me I must registered it. What? I have had this program for 20 years. How can I disable the...
    • Greg: For me, holding the *LEFT* CTL + Shift then clicking Online, One Step Update worked. I originally tried holding the right CTL + Shift, and it didn’t work. I’m using Quicken 2006, so I don’t know if it will work...
    • Joe SR>: My monthly income is deposited into my Credit Union account. I use debit whenever possible. I write checks manually and mail them. I use Quicken 2012 off-line only. I have entered all my money and investment accounts. I...
    • Prtet: Never say never….every time I swear I will never use Quicken again, I discover that there are still no viable alternatives. Amazing that there is no decent personal finance software.
  • Parsing Strings in Katalon – Split, Substring and Readlines (4)
    • Anjana: Hey thanks for the response It is quite strange but initializing variable for delimiter and it worked String splitFormat = ‘-‘ WebUI.println(var_CampaignDura tion.toString().split(splitFor mat)[0])...
    • Don Pedro: I’m not really sure what the difference is, but I don’t think the “-“ in the split is the same as the one in the date. String var_CampaignDuration = “05/13/2019-06/07/2019&# 8221; String[] parsedDateRange =...
    • Anjana: Hi, I tried the same thing to split the string, but does not work for me, Could you plz point out whats wrong Variable var_CampaignDuration has value “05/13/2019-06/07/2019&# 8221; String[] parsedDateRange =...
  • How to Block games by Title and Tag on Steam (2)
    • Marcus861: I made an acc just to say: Same bro
    • JACK: Thanks, same just wanted to block anime games in my discover
  • Create a new and random UUID for an API call (1)
    • Anonymous: Hi ! I found this blog few weeks ago and it’s really helping me out with my tests! Thanks a lot for the Katalon tips and tricks ! Keep up the good work 🙂