I’m always looking for the next city builder or something unique that goes beyond the mindless first person shooter. Life Is Feudal: Your Own popped on Steam and it has me intrigued. At first blush it appears to be a combination of Banished and perhaps Shroud of the Avatar. Like Banished the goal is to survive by building houses and gathering food. It sort of looks like Shroud of the Avatar with the crafting system and weapons. I guess there is some Minecraft in there because you can did, tunnel and gather resources. Maybe a sprinkling of Chivalry thrown in for good measure?
The couple of trailers make it look pretty good and the still show some nice graphics and some impressive towns. It’s an Early Access game which are always fun to support. I’m going to have to look for some more gameplay videos and read some more reviews. The ones left on Steam all seem pretty favorable so that bodes well.
The only real complaint and the reason I just don’t pick up a copy is the hefty $40 price tag. That is steep for an Early Access game. I thought the same thing of Assetto Corsa which is why I waited so long before getting a copy. Feudal is basically beta, which of course means missing features, bugs, crashes and frustration. That’s part of the fun in most respects. But I’m not on board with paying a premium price for a game I know won’t work properly. Further, there isn’t any sort of "bonus" for paying the higher price. Other games offer unique items or something a little extra to justify the cost. It looks like the $40 is just the going rather for the game.
Don’t get me wrong, the game looks good and I’m excited to check it. I’ve bought and support several Early Access games and haven’t been disappointed. However, those were far cheaper than this which is why I signed up. I might have to wait a bit on this one. The price for entry is just a bit too high. If the price drops I’m all in. If I miss the Early Access, I’ll definitely keep my eye out for the full version. I’d like to check out this new world.
Anyone got any advice? Is it worth the $40 to get access to this game? How does it compare to the games above? Is it a good sandbox game that doesn’t overwhelm with the crafting? The crafting in SotA is pretty neat, but it can get a little mundane.
Other articles of interest:
- A new business "Sim" in Steam Early Access – Arms Dealer
- Plague Inc comes to the Desktop via Steam and Early Access
- Save 33% on Assetto Corsa on Steam – $26.65
- It’s time to break out your wallets and head over to the Steam Holiday Sale
- When it comes to Kickstarter and Early Access games, stop being cheap
- Anyone have experience with this new product called DimmDrive?
- Whips and Chains and Motorcycle Racing in Road Redemption
- Assetto Corsa on Sale for 50% Off at Steam
- Plague Inc Evolved – Chronic Masturbation Has Successfully Eliminated All Life On Earth
- The Steam Summer Sale was Amazing! And it made me broke