Improve your writing with TextSoap
While getting ready for 2020, it occurred to me I can use TextSoap’s regex engine to improve my writing by finding and highlighting common and overused words. There are 3 steps to the process:
- Use the “If Text Matches” action with a list of words I want to highlight
- Format the foreground and background colors of the text
- Set problem words to capitals so they stand out
After checking a couple of websites, I created this short list of words to focus on.
\b(and|or|for example|but|just|other|more|new|good|best|many|first|able|basically|interesting|honestly|literally|very|really|quite|seems|had|even|that|seriously|to be honest|ridiculous|know)\b
From there I used the Set Text Color, Set Background Color filters, followed by the Convert to Uppercase action.
When finished, the “cleaner” can run inside Scrivener itself, so I don’t have to leave my main app to get feedback.
It’s a simple formatter, but I think this will have a powerful impact.
Other articles of interest:
- Inserting and Appending Text with TextSoap
- TextSoap 8 on Bundlehunt
- ZenWriter – A bit of writing bliss
- Formatting Execution Times with TextSoap
- Hello LibreOffice. I think we might just get along.
- Corel Paint it! Show for the iPad
- Getting the hang of Scrivener
- CopyLess and PopClip Jump Aboard the Party Barge
- Checking to see if search results contain the search criteria
- Notetaking across my Macs with Fiplab Mini Note