Checking to see if search results contain the search criteria

One of the tests I’ve been working on is to search for a particular record, then confirm the results contain the search criteria. For example, if I enter the word, “limited” as the name for a company in my search, each record returned needs to contain the word, “limited” in the title.

It turns out to be quite simple using the “.contains” syntax of Groovy. Quite literally, see if the text contains the string you’re looking for. To make my example more robust, all the text is converted to lower case so there’s no confusion between “limited” and “Limited”.

After entering the search criteria, the results are read from a table. The text is read into a variable, converted to lowercase and checked to see if it contains the result. The evaluation can be done in a single line and looks like:

//Convert the name and search criteria to lowercase to make sure they match
tempResult=recordName.toLowerCase().contains(searchCriteria.toLowerCase())

For this example, “searchCriteria” is the variable that contains my string, “limited”

I then put that to a simple test to confirm the results and output an error if the text didn’t match.

//Confirm the company name contains the search string
if(tempResult!=true){
log.logError('ERROR: The search result does not match the search criteria')
KeywordUtil.markFailed('ERROR: The search result does not match the search criteria')
} else {
log.logWarning('SUCCESS: The search result matches the search criteria')
}

It’s simple, but a very easy way to confirm search results match the search criteria.

Other articles of interest:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Comments
  • How To Disable the Quicken Registration Prompt (31)
    • Juani: Hi, I have a registered Quicken 2016 and now my files are being held hostage by Intuit, cannot log in with my ID unless I upgrade therefore buy a subscription, I need to access my files, please HELP. Thanks
    • David: A BIG Thank you! I regularly reinstall Windows OS’s using different hardware configs. In short, Quicken 2011 (it’s March of 2020 as I write this) has been a program I’ve been very happy with and continue to use....
    • Karen L: Today I rang Reckon Australia again, got a different guy and he talked me through the process of getting me a new product key to enter since I already had the licence and it had been extended. Reckon have only extended it by 1...
    • Karen L: I have Australian Quicken 2008 on Windows 8.1. It keeps asking me to renew my licence which Reckon did for me however the activation won’t work. I tried this to disable the registration prompt however it did not stop the...
  • Building Relationships with Developers (1)
    • Carlos Herrera: Ah yes. I have a team of software developers and it is genuinely so hard to keep them in the loop during projects. Though the more we work the better the communication becomes and we go from a trail and error process to a...
  • Integrating DevonAgent Pro with Alfred (1)
    • J. Garr: Beautiful, sweet, and simple. I love it; thanks for posting this solution.
  • Round and Round with the For..Next in Katalon Studio (1)
    • Sweet Ophaline Labador: Hello can you help me how to loop this scenario. Checking the elements is just the same. I want to check that the following function is available in www.siacargo.com: Track Shipment – clicking on this can...
  • Parsing Strings in Katalon – Split, Substring and Readlines (6)
    • Don Pedro: String tempText=”Date Month January. Revenue $1,355,721.00″ println(tempText.split(“ \$”)[1]) You need to escape the $ with \$ The [1] on the split captures characters on the right of the split [0]...
    • Prasad: Hi, I need to get the substring from the below string ‘Date Month January. Revenue $1,355,721.00’ I want to extract text after $ value. Please help Thank you
  • Working with Dates and Date Formatting in Katalon Studio (15)
    • Sangeethaa: How to get previous day’s date(Yesterday’s date)? Actually I was using today.previous() before,it was working fine till today morning.Now its not retrieving right date. Can anyone please guide me on this.
    • Don Pedro: That could be a little tricky. First, is the text/format always going to be the same? You will need to do some parsing. Separate the first but of text at 2019. After that, split the text again to get rid of Central Standard...
    • Don Pedro: It should be of the same Date type as today. You could then do some calendar trickery with Calendar /*Calendar c = Calendar.getInstance(); //c.set(Calendar.MONTH, 1) //Set the month, 0=January, 11=December println...
    • josh: I’m testing a page with a string like “Updated November 21, 2019 16:25:32 PM Central Standard Time.” How might I capture the date and time and compare it to current time to verify that the update time was within...
  • Output status messages and test information by writing to the Log File Viewer in Katalon Studio (6)
    • Saranya: Good One. Could you plz share link to access all your katalon related blogs. ThankQ
    • Rodrigo Calabretta: I’m using the KeywordUtil.markFailed or KeywordUtil.markError and my test stops is being shown as Error and If I use in the @afterTestCase the testCaseContext.getTestCaseSta tus() to show the status test case...