Migrating Platforms – A Katalon Success Story

Several months ago, we began mapping out a migration strategy to move from one service platform to another. It would include new databases, new security authentication, a complete data load and new import and export functionality. Basically, new everything.

Since it’s a new platform, it needed a full regression test. It could be done by hand, but that would be slow and issues could easily fall through the cracks. The goal was to introduce automation, so back in December we started with Katalon as our tool of choice to handle the work.

And so we set off to automate as much as possible. It started as a brute force endeavor. Just to get started, tests were created to read data so we could compare Before and After results to confirm we didn’t lose anything. With those complete, it became possible to fill in forms. After a bit more experience and knowledge, we could count items on the page and validate their content. It was then possible to sum columns and confirm internal calculations to site values. Each test built on the last.

The tests continued to expand in depth and complexity until there was a solid set of tests that validated hundreds of data points. A full run could be completed in less than 10 minutes. Doing that same list of tests manually takes an hour to complete. Plus, the tests could be run in the background giving time back for other tasks.

As we practiced the migration, the scripts were quick to uncover issues. They even revealed a few of bugs due to how frequently they were running. After a week of repeated test runs, the environment was stable and we were quite confident to move the process to Staging.

To confirm it’s readiness, the same set of tests were run repeatedly and the small hiccups were ironed out before turning it over to the customer. What they saw was a nearly flawless upgrade experience.

Over the weekend, we did the real upgrade, with the final validation performed by Katalon and the automation scripts. In a fraction of the time, we were able to check dozens of links, read hundreds of sales figures, fill in multiple user forms, confirm each page loaded as expected and compared dozens of known data elements. We also had written confirmation of what we tested so everyone could agree on the sign-off.

I would say that our implementation of Katalon has been a big success. There is still a lot more to learn and more robust tests to write. But, as of now, we have a solid test suite that definitely validates whether the site is working or not.

Other articles of interest:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Comments
  • Output status messages and test information by writing to the Log File Viewer in Katalon Studio (4)
    • Don Pedro: That is correct. You will need to add KeywordUtil.markFailed to change the Failures count. Other commands in the library are: KeywordUtil.markPassed KeywordUtil.markFailed KeywordUtil.markError KeywordUtil.markWarning
    • Nadim: This is really helpful … the only problem when log.logFailed executed it doesn’t update the results Failures count … still show Failures: 0
  • Working with Dates and Date Formatting in Katalon Studio (7)
    • Sharma: I want to choose date from any of the 12 months but I am not abel to do the same.
  • Securely storing passwords and login details with Set Encrypted Text in Katalon Studio (2)
    • sowmya: hi can u please help me how to read data from text file in katalon studio?
  • Custom Keywords for Custom Functions (1)
    • Sarah: Thank you for this. It helped me understand these better.
  • How To Disable the Quicken Registration Prompt (26)
    • Denise Defoor: I have a Quicken SE Version 6 .. My computer crashed a few weeks ago and I finally got it up and running. Now Quicken is telling me I must registered it. What? I have had this program for 20 years. How can I disable the...
    • Greg: For me, holding the *LEFT* CTL + Shift then clicking Online, One Step Update worked. I originally tried holding the right CTL + Shift, and it didn’t work. I’m using Quicken 2006, so I don’t know if it will work...
    • Joe SR>: My monthly income is deposited into my Credit Union account. I use debit whenever possible. I write checks manually and mail them. I use Quicken 2012 off-line only. I have entered all my money and investment accounts. I...
    • Prtet: Never say never….every time I swear I will never use Quicken again, I discover that there are still no viable alternatives. Amazing that there is no decent personal finance software.
  • Parsing Strings in Katalon – Split, Substring and Readlines (4)
    • Anjana: Hey thanks for the response It is quite strange but initializing variable for delimiter and it worked String splitFormat = ‘-‘ WebUI.println(var_CampaignDura tion.toString().split(splitFor mat)[0])...
    • Don Pedro: I’m not really sure what the difference is, but I don’t think the “-“ in the split is the same as the one in the date. String var_CampaignDuration = “05/13/2019-06/07/2019&# 8221; String[] parsedDateRange =...
    • Anjana: Hi, I tried the same thing to split the string, but does not work for me, Could you plz point out whats wrong Variable var_CampaignDuration has value “05/13/2019-06/07/2019&# 8221; String[] parsedDateRange =...
  • How to Block games by Title and Tag on Steam (2)
    • Marcus861: I made an acc just to say: Same bro
    • JACK: Thanks, same just wanted to block anime games in my discover
  • Create a new and random UUID for an API call (1)
    • Anonymous: Hi ! I found this blog few weeks ago and it’s really helping me out with my tests! Thanks a lot for the Katalon tips and tricks ! Keep up the good work 🙂