IMDisk Ram Drive and SteamTool Library Manager
There’s quite a bit of information about Ram Drives out there, but it seems somewhat dated. I found one combination that looks kind of interesting. It’s a free Ram Drive tool called IMDisk and a manager for Steam games called SteamTool Library Manager.
I haven’t actually worked with these yet, but from what I can gather, the process works a little something like this.
You first make and mount a new Ram Drive with IMDisk. This will carve out a portion of your memory and make it appear as a hard drive with drive letter.
Next, the SteamTool Library Manager allows you to copy games from your Steam library over to the ram drive.
It all seems pretty straightforward doesn’t it? Some of this information is kind of old so who knows how reliable any of this is. I might be inclined to give this a try, since it doesn’t seem that hard. It’s not quite the automated set up of DimmDrive nor does it have the fail safe mechanism, but it might be worth a look. It doesn’t save anything or have recovery features so if power goes off or the computer reboots, the data is gone. Could be dicey, so not sure if I’m ready to stick Grid in there.
IMDisk Ram Drive
SteamTool Library Manager
How To Run Steam Games On A RAM Drive or RAM Disk
SoftPerfect RAM Disk – is a free high-performance RAM disk application that lets you have a disk on your computer entirely stored in its memory.
Dataram Ramdisk for Gaming
Other articles of interest:
- The Steam Summer Sale was Amazing! And it made me broke
- O&O DiskImage 11 Pro For Just US$ 10 – World Backup Day!
- TuneUp Utilities 2013 – System Optimization Series
- Ashampoo Winoptimizer 10 – System Optimization Series
- How do you recover 10TB worth of data from damaged partitions?
- Acronis True Image 2012 for $19.95. That includes the Plus Pack and a Second Copy for Free
- Over 10 TB and 600,000 files recovered
- Fixing my hard drive space issues by buying more hard drive space – 15TB more storage
- Anyone have experience with this new product called DimmDrive?
- BeamNG Drive Comes to Steam