Rise of Nations getting re-imaged and coming to Steam
First there was Age of Empires HD, then Age of Mythology HD and coming next month, Rise of Nations: Extended Edition. Microsoft has purchased the IP from Big Huge Games and with the help of SkyBox Labs will update the graphics, add multiplayer and achivements and release both the original Rise of Nations and the Expansion Pack "Thrones and Patriots". Quite an interesting trilogy of games which is both exciting and sad. It’s exciting to see these games come back to life as they were incredible works that held my attention for months. Age of Empires is still a fantastic game and Rise of Nations added it’s own great elements. It’s sad to realize that the studios behind these games have all gone defunct and Micorosft purchased the IP rights in a bankruptcy sale. How can you go from making a best selling series of games to selling off what little you have left in a fire sale. So disappointing.
Since we’re on the topic, what ever happened to the RTS game? Age of Empires hit the scene and became a huge success. The follow up Age of Empires II was even more amazing with so many improvements and units. It then spun off all sorts of games like Empires Earth, Rise of Nations and others. I suppose StarCraft carries the legacy these days, but damn I miss this style of game. If you remember a few months ago I got my hands on the Rise of Nation CD pack for less than $10 and jumped back into the game with both feet. It was a great experience! It may have lead to a Nuclear Winter, but until then, it was fantastic!
History may not always be kind, but I believe I will have to get this updated version of the game. And it’s on sale for a limited time. The game will release in June for $20, but is on sale for $15.99 over at Steam. If you were a fan of the original and want to jump on board with some updated graphics and improve multiplayer this like a real winner!
Rise of Nations! They Keep on Rising!
Other articles of interest:
- Rise of Nations Extended Edition Now Available on Steam
- Rise of Nations on sale for $13.39 – 33% off at Steam
- From Age of Empires to Rise of Nations
- Some real gems in the Steam Summer Sale – Age of Empires II – The RTS lives on!
- Microsoft Studios Weekend at Steam – All Games on Sale
- You really need to get over to Steam and check out the sales
- Those Rise of Nations Just Keep on Rising
- Good Heavens! Age of Empires II: HD Edition is on Sale for $4.99! 75% Off
- Microsoft in talks to buy Minecraft for estimated $2 billion
- Sid Meier’s Ace Patrol: Pacific Skies for iPad and Desktop