EA to Acquire PopCap for $750 Million or more
The maker of Plants vs. Zombies, Bejeweled and a slew of other casual games is going to be part of the big EA mobile frontier. Electronic Arts has bought up PopCap for nearly $750 million with estimates ranging into the billions for the whole deal.
Seems like a hell of a lot for a little puzzle making company, but PopCap has a pretty impressive catalog of games. So does this spell doom and gloom for the small development house or will this propel them to bigger and better things? Keep in mind that Bejeweled is about on every platform out there and Plants vs. Zombies is right behind it. Do they really need EA or is it the other way around?
Also, have a look at what Microsoft could have bought them for …
Other articles of interest:
- Microsoft sells a million Kinects in 10 days
- Hardcore gamers will buy Kinect?
- 2.35 million IE9 downloads
- 5 million MS Kinect devices by Christmas?
- Kin and Windows 7 Phone … You’ve doomed us all
- Microsoft ditches blogging, embraces WordPress
- Devs gotta get paid right?
- Windows Phone 7 sales underwhelm
- This is just plain stupid
- Apple overtakes Microsoft to become the world’s most valuable tech firm