Microsoft to acquire Skype for $8.5 billion
Well, this is a sure fire way to ruin a perfectly good piece of technology even though it actually hasn’t made anyone any money. In fact, Skype keeps getting sold off for less than what it was originally bought for. Wired certainly seems confused about why MS would want this company. And why are they willing to pay more than double what eBay bought it for in 2005? Remember that eBay then sold it for nearly half that amount in 2009. That’s a several billion dollar loss on that investment.
I shudder to think what MS will do with this if they do anything at all. Don’t they already have a lot of this technology bundled up in their Live apps? But hey, no matter what they do their stock still won’t stay above $30. Despite it all MS seems to have more money than sense right now.
Other articles of interest:
- A billion to launch Windows Phone 7?
- Apple overtakes Microsoft to become the world’s most valuable tech firm
- Dell wants to be their own company again
- Microsoft sells a million Kinects in 10 days
- Boy, that MySpace didn’t exactly work out did it?
- And Ballmer takes a beating
- Ballmer claims to be in charge of Microsoft by firing everyone
- What would you do with $100 billion?
- Microsoft sells off one of its Expression products
- 5 million MS Kinect devices by Christmas?