iDos doesn’t survive …
It was short lived just like many of us thought. iDos burst onto the scene a few months ago, made a big splash and then was told to get out of the pool.
Later, it came back and said it would behave and not cause any problems. It was allowed back in the store but problems persisted. iDos wouldn’t let you copy software directly to the device, but with one simple, free utility you could do whatever you want. And then iDos was gone again.
Apple has pulled the app from the store again because you can use iPhone Explorer to install whatever software you want. Not everything works right off the bat and you may have to do some tinkering to get certain applications running, but getting software to iDos is a simple affair.
· Download and install iDOS (version 2.0.1).
· Download and install iPhone Explorer, a freeware that allows users to browse files and folders on iPhone as USB mass storage disk drive mode or a USB flash drive.
· Plug in iPhone, iPod touch or iPad to computer via USB.
· In iPhone Explorer, expand the iDevice, then go to Apps branch.
· Locate iDOS or 8HLDK844H7.net.litchie.idos, and then expand to Documents branch. The Documents folder is the iDOS “C:” root directory.
· Copy any games or program folder and files to under Documents folder. It can be any sub-directories inside the “Documents”.
And you should be ready to go. If you run into problem there are many forums springing up around the place offering advice. From what I’ve been able to gather people are installing Ultima III and IV onto their iPhones and iPads. I haven’t tried yet but it does appear to work.
This is such a neat idea too bad it keeps getting torpedoed. Maybe the devs and the publishers can work something out. Seems like there is a pretty good money making opportunity here.
Other articles of interest:
- AcePlayer – An easy way to drag and drop "unsupported" media to the iPad
- iDos is back, but different
- AirDisk Pro Free for Today!
- I missed my chance to grab iDos
- Video Converter Ultimate 6 is a brilliant video converter
- Goodreader for iPad- A must have
- Goodreader keeps getting better
- Fileapp Pro vs. Goodreader – Which is Best?
- FileBrowser – Access files on remote computers
- Notebooks for iPad, Windows and Mac – Good apps, Nice discount