So here’s what Apple is offering
The 8GB iPod Touch is now $199 but uses the old processors.
The 16GB is gone. (Great now I have a legacy device…)
The 32GB and new 64GB run a new processor and cost $299 and $399. No cams in any of them.
Cams are in the Nanos, now being positioned to take on Flip style video cams.
The Classics got bigger, the Shuffles got more colorful
These new offerings are pretty cool, but they’re a far cry from all the rumors we were hearing. Certainly the iPod Touch without a camera update is lame. Why no 16GB model for the Touch? That’s a pretty damn big gap between the 8GB model and the 32GB.
And iTunes update is interesting, but unless you are a slave to iTunes (which I’m not, I still don’t like it) a new version isn’t all that exciting. I guess we’ll have to wait and see what it offers once I download it tonight. Hopefully the servers won’t be clogged with all the other downloaders.
And what happened to the Tablet? Vaporware? Vicious rumor? It seems like the iPod Nano got all the love this time around. An 8GB for $149 would have been sweet. A 16GB for $200 would have been awesome. Oh well…
Other articles of interest:
- iPod – Upgrading to 3.0
- So what happens tomorrow?
- iTunes 9 and OS 3.1
- 64GB iPod Touch on the loose!
- iPod Touch with camera and microphone
- Upgrade, Upgrade, Upgrade!
- Some interesting new gizmos from the Apple Event
- iPod Touch already on sale in the Apple Store
- Let’s see what happens at the Apple Event
- Why no camera? You didn’t really want it…